SC relief for Lalu Prasad Yadav in fodder scam case
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what has come as a relief for Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav, the Supreme Court on Tuesday restrained a Jharkhand court from delivering the judgement in fodder scam case involving the former Bihar chief minister.
The apex court issued a notice to CBI on Lalu`s plea alleging the trial court judge is biased against him as he is related to a minister in Nitish Kumar government.
This comes after the Jharkhand High Court on July 01 dismissed a petition filed by the RJD chief seeking transfer of a fodder scam case from a CBI court. The verdict in the case was to be pronounced July 15.
Prasad, who faces a judgement in a fodder scam case on July 15, had filed the petition requesting transfer of RC20A case to another special CBI court as he did not "expect justice" from the present special CBI judge Pravas Kumar Singh following his alleged relationship with two Bihar-based JDU leaders, who are political opponents.
Meanwhile, appearing before the SC bench, Lalu expressed apprehension of bias against him by the trial court judge and said that his biggest political enemy is Nitish Kumar.
The case is related to alleged fraudulent withdrawal of Rs 37.70 crore from the Chaibasa treasury of undivided Bihar and which is now a part of Jharkhand. Lalu Prasad was then the Bihar chief minister. Among the 45 accused is Jagannath Mishra, also a former Bihar chief minister.
Lalu Prasad had quit as Bihar chief minister in 1997 when his name figured in the CBI investigations into the case.
The Rs 900 crore fodder scam first surfaced in 1996 when large amounts were found to have been disbursed from the Bihar state exchequer for purchasing fodder and medicines for non-existent livestock.
Around 54 of the 61 cases were transferred to Jharkhand when it was carved out of Bihar in November 2000.
Different CBI courts have passed judgment in 43 cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read