SC reserves verdict in Tulsiram Prajapati encounter killing
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday reserved
its verdict on a plea for a CBI probe into Tulsiram
Prajapati`s killing by the Gujarat police who was stated to be
an eyewitness in the fake encounter death of Sohrabuddin
Sheikh and his wife Kauser Bi allegedly involving ex-Home
Minister Amit Shah.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan reserved
its judgement after hearing at length for three days CBI,
Gujarat government, Shah and petitioner Narmada Bai`s
Gujarat and Shah, through senior counsel Ranjit Kumar
and Ram Jethmalani, oppposed CBI`s taking over the case on the
ground that the Centre was trying to implicate the former Home
Minister and Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the encounter
However, senior counsel K T S Tulsi for CBI and Huzefi
Ahamadi, for Narmada Bai, the mother of gangster Tulsiram
Prajapati, justified the transfer plea as according to them
the investigation by the Gujarat police was "biased" and
Prajapati`s killing was a sequel to the encounter deaths
Sohrabuddin, an alleged extortionist, and his wife.
During the aruments when Tulsi tried to interrupt
Jethmalani, the bench told the CBI counsel "you have to be a
neutral agency. You need not show anxiety. Only the petitioner
has a right to say anything."
It was alleged by CBI and the petitioner that
Sohrabuddin, Kauser Bi and another person, suspected to
be Prajapati, were picked up during a joint operation by the
police of Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh from a bus on their way
from Hyderabad to Sangli in Maharashtra on November 22, 2005.
Sohrabuddin was gunned down in an encounter by the
Gujarat police`s Anti-Terrorist Squad. The policemen are also
accused of killing Kauser Bi and Prajapati to destroy
The investigation in the case by CBI had stirred a
political controversy after Shah was arrested and charged with
killing Sohrabuddin and his wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!