SC restrains first woman CBI addl director from discharging her duty
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai/New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday restrained senior IPS officer Archana Ramasundaram from discharging her duty as additional director in CBI.
The apex court`s order came on a petition filed by senior journalist Vineet Narain, challenging her selection to the CBI. Narain had challenged her choice over RK Pachanda, who was recommended by the selection committee.
Yesterday, Ramasundaram was suspended by the TN government on charges of “deserting office”.
Before proceeding to join the CBI at short notice, Ramasundaram had sent a letter to the Chief Secretary Mohan Verghese Chunkath,saying she was proceeding to Delhi to take up the new post.
However, the state government, reportedly, had not given the formal permission on her request to be relieved from the current posting as director general of police/chairperson, Tamil Nadu Uniformed Services` Recruitment Board.
The government is also contemplating disciplinary action against Ramasundram, reports said. The suspension order also stipulated that the Indian Police Service officer will have to be here during the period the order is in force.
On May 7, she received a letter from the Union Government`s Department of Personnel and Training (DOPT), asking her to take charge immediately, as high-level supervisory rank post in the CBI could not be kept vacant for long.
Following which, Ramasundaram took charge as additional director in CBI without in receipt of state government`s clearance.
Ramasundaram is a 1980 batch officer from the Tamil Nadu cadre. She already had a stint in CBI as DIG and also as joint director.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read