SC restrains first woman CBI addl director from discharging her duty
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai/New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday restrained senior IPS officer Archana Ramasundaram from discharging her duty as additional director in CBI.
The apex court`s order came on a petition filed by senior journalist Vineet Narain, challenging her selection to the CBI. Narain had challenged her choice over RK Pachanda, who was recommended by the selection committee.
Yesterday, Ramasundaram was suspended by the TN government on charges of “deserting office”.
Before proceeding to join the CBI at short notice, Ramasundaram had sent a letter to the Chief Secretary Mohan Verghese Chunkath,saying she was proceeding to Delhi to take up the new post.
However, the state government, reportedly, had not given the formal permission on her request to be relieved from the current posting as director general of police/chairperson, Tamil Nadu Uniformed Services` Recruitment Board.
The government is also contemplating disciplinary action against Ramasundram, reports said. The suspension order also stipulated that the Indian Police Service officer will have to be here during the period the order is in force.
On May 7, she received a letter from the Union Government`s Department of Personnel and Training (DOPT), asking her to take charge immediately, as high-level supervisory rank post in the CBI could not be kept vacant for long.
Following which, Ramasundaram took charge as additional director in CBI without in receipt of state government`s clearance.
Ramasundaram is a 1980 batch officer from the Tamil Nadu cadre. She already had a stint in CBI as DIG and also as joint director.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice