SC seeks AG`s response on making Radia tape public
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday sought
a response from the Attorney General on a petition seeking
complete disclosure of corporate lobbyist Niira Radia`s
telephonic conversations with various public figures.
A bench comprising justices G S Singhvi and A K
Ganguly asked the Attorney General G E Vahanvati to file his
response within two weeks and posted the matter for hearing on
The tapes reportedly include her conversations with
ministers and corporate czars, which were recorded by the
government in 2008-09.
The plea for disclosure of the entire content of Radia
tapes was made by an NGO Centre for Public Interest Litigation
(CPIL), which in its petition named, besides former Telecom
Minister A Raja and Tata conglomerate chief Ratan Tata,
various politicians, ministers, bureaucrats and journalists as
being only a phone call away from her.
The others whom the petitioner named as having had
conversations with Radia included former Prime Minister Atal
Bihari Vajpayee`s foster son-in-law Ranjan Bhattacharya, Tamil
Nadu chief minister M Karunanidhi`s wife Rajathi Ammal, his
daughter Kanimozhi, and senior journalists Vir Sanghvi and
The government had ordered taping of Radia`s
telephonic conversations following a complaint to the Finance
Ministry that she had built up a business empire worth Rs 300
crore within a short span. The complaint also alleged she was
an agent of foreign intelligence agencies and was indulging in
Pleading for making all 5800 conversations public, the
NGO contended it would "reveal the way the Indian government
is run by selling national interests for corporate greed and
sacrificing long-term public interests for private lucre."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!