SC seeks Amit Shah`s reply to CBI plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered former Gujarat Home Minister Amit Shah to respond latest by November 29 on a plea by the CBI to cancel his bail in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
A bench of Justices Aftab Alam and RM Lodha granted Shah two additional weeks to file his reply after his counsel UU Lalit and Bina Madhavan urged the court to extend the time for filing response.
The apex court earlier, during a special hearing on October 30, had asked Shah to move out of Gujarat till further orders and had sought his response on the CBI`s plea for cancelling his bail.
The CBI had approached the apex court on October 29 seeking cancellation of bail to Shah, granted by the Gujarat High Court a day earlier.
The CBI had sought urgent hearing of its plea, prompting the apex court`s registry to arrange for the hearing at Justice Alam`s residence during Dusseherra vacations.
The bench also comprising Justice RM Lodha had on October 30 directed Shah to leave Gujarat the next morning, ordering him to stay out of the state till its further order.
It had also asked Shah to file his reply by November 12, while posting the matter for next hearing on November 15.
The special bench had ordered Shah to leave the state after senior advocate KTS Tulsi, appearing for CBI, had expressed the apprehension before the court that Shah was an influential person and was likely to influence witnesses in the case.
46-year-old Shah, a close aide of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, had been granted bail by the Gujarat High Court three months after his arrest for his alleged role in the Sohrabuddin case.
Shah had to quit the Modi government in July this year after being slapped with charges of murder and kidnapping in the fake encounter killing of the alleged gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh and his wife Kauser Bi in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days