SC seeks CBI stand on 2nd post-mortem of PF scam accused`s
New Delhi: The mysterious death of
Asuthosh Asthana, prime accused in multi-crore PF scam
allegedly involving judges, on Monday figured in the Supreme Court
which asked CBI to spell out its stand on a plea for
preserving the body for a second postmortem.
A bench headed by Justice D K Jain asked Additiional
Solicitor General Indira Jaisingh to seek necessary
instructions from CBI and report back to it tommorow by 10.30
a.m when the matter would be taken up for hearing.
The apex court agreed to take up the application moved
by Nahar Singh Yadav, Secretary of Ghaziabad District Bar
Association, seeking a second postmortem and probe by a
special investigation team into the circumstances under which
Asthana died in his cell at Dasana District Jail, Ghaziabad,
The first post-mortem report failed to determine the
probable cause of Asthana`s death.
Earlier, senior counsel Anil Divan, on behalf of the
petitioner, mentioned the matter before a bench headed by
Chief Justice K G Balkrishnan which directed him to move the
bench headed by Justice Jain hearing the main matter relating
to the Provident Fund scam.
Quoting media reports, Divan said Asthana, who was a
"star witness", apparently died due to poisoning and an
independent probe was required to unravel the truth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days