SC seeks Centre, States response on sterilisation
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday sought
response from the Centre and the States on a petition alleging that sterilisation camps were being conducted in unhygienic conditions across the country with scant regard for human
A bench of justices RM Lodha and HL Gokhale while issuing notices sought replies from the Union government, the State governments and all the Union Territories within eight weeks.
Appearing for the petitioner Devika Biswas, senior
counsel Colin Gonsalves alleged that in places like Bihar
sterilisation camps are being conducted under torch light and
the general anaesthesia was being administered by untrained
He submitted that there was evidence to prove that as
many as 60 operations were being performed within an hour by
an NGO which has a tie-up with the Bihar government.
He alleged that similar camps were being conducted in
different part of the country by various NGOs putting to risk
the life of thousands of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks
- Three new suicide attacks in Lebanon village near Syria
- Preparing for Brexit, Britain may see new PM by early September
- US says India has shown sustained commitment to non-proliferation