SC seeks Centre, States response on sterilisation
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday sought
response from the Centre and the States on a petition alleging that sterilisation camps were being conducted in unhygienic conditions across the country with scant regard for human
A bench of justices RM Lodha and HL Gokhale while issuing notices sought replies from the Union government, the State governments and all the Union Territories within eight weeks.
Appearing for the petitioner Devika Biswas, senior
counsel Colin Gonsalves alleged that in places like Bihar
sterilisation camps are being conducted under torch light and
the general anaesthesia was being administered by untrained
He submitted that there was evidence to prove that as
many as 60 operations were being performed within an hour by
an NGO which has a tie-up with the Bihar government.
He alleged that similar camps were being conducted in
different part of the country by various NGOs putting to risk
the life of thousands of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi