SC seeks response from Centre, states on mental hospitals
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought responses from the Centre and state governments to a plea for improving the condition of mental hospitals in the country by providing adequate financial resources.
A bench headed by Justice K S Radhakrishnan asked the governments to file their responses on the petition filed by National Human Rights Commission seeking its direction to set up more mental health hospital and make them mode autonomous.
"The mental health hospitals in the country are facing serious financial constraints as adequate resources allocation is not being made to meet their requirements. The Centre and state governments should accord priority in allocation of financial resources both for the regular maintenance and the upgradation of the physical infrastructure of these institutions," the Commission said.
It said many of the mental hospitals are 100 to 150 years old and they do not receive the same priority as general health.
It said each state and Union Territory must have one mental health hospital fully equipped with latest equipment and sufficient medical and para medical manpower and such hospitals be made autonomous.
"Lack of adequate administrative and financial powers of the Directors and the Superintendents of the Hospitals is seriously affecting their functioning.
Therefore, these institutions should be made completely autonomous in managing their own affairs and the Managing Committee of these institutions should have adequate administrative and financial poweres to manage their affairs efficiently," it said.
The Commission said state governments may be directed to sanction medical and para-medical manpower to these hospitals as recommended by NHRC, without delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America