SC seeks response from states on Police Complaint Authority
New Delhi: In view of some recent cases of police excesses in Bihar and Punjab, the Supreme Court today directed all states and UTs to apprise it of implementation of its 2006 order on police reforms including setting up of a Police Complaint Authority at district and state levels.
Observing that the situation has become worse in the last seven years after its judgement, a bench headed by justice G S Singhvi asked the governments to file their affidavit giving details of steps taken by them on setting up of Police Complaint Authority at district and state levels.
The bench passed the order after it was informed that most of the states have so far not fully complied with the apex court`s directions.
"Affidavit be filed by the States and Union Territories indicating steps taken by them for setting up Complaint Authority, details of person to be part of the Authority and details of meeting held after setting up of the Authority," the bench said.
"Seven years have passed and the situation has gone from bad to worse," the bench said, adding there was urgent need of police reform to make personnel more sensitive.
It also said police personnel deployed for giving protection to VIPs should be deployed for the welfare of common man.
"So-called VIP culture has to be removed and it will go a long way in improving the efficiency of police force," the bench said, adding, "Reform will not come overnight with a click of mouse."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'