SC seeks status of night shelter facilities in all states
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday sought the status of night shelter facilities for the homeless in various states.
A bench of Justice Dalveer Bhandari and Justice K.S. Radhakrishnan sought the status from all state governments, issuing them notices on a plea by a special panel appointed by the court earlier.
The plea said that the provision of shelters for the homeless is part of the Right to Life guaranteed under the Constitution and accordingly a state should have one night shelter for every one lakh homeless people.
The Supreme Court Jan 20 pulled up the Delhi government for not providing shelter to the homeless. It ordered the government to provide night shelters to all of them immediately, complete with food and toilets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read