SC seeks status of night shelter facilities in all states
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday sought the status of night shelter facilities for the homeless in various states.
A bench of Justice Dalveer Bhandari and Justice K.S. Radhakrishnan sought the status from all state governments, issuing them notices on a plea by a special panel appointed by the court earlier.
The plea said that the provision of shelters for the homeless is part of the Right to Life guaranteed under the Constitution and accordingly a state should have one night shelter for every one lakh homeless people.
The Supreme Court Jan 20 pulled up the Delhi government for not providing shelter to the homeless. It ordered the government to provide night shelters to all of them immediately, complete with food and toilets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29