SC seeks status of night shelter facilities in all states
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday sought the status of night shelter facilities for the homeless in various states.
A bench of Justice Dalveer Bhandari and Justice K.S. Radhakrishnan sought the status from all state governments, issuing them notices on a plea by a special panel appointed by the court earlier.
The plea said that the provision of shelters for the homeless is part of the Right to Life guaranteed under the Constitution and accordingly a state should have one night shelter for every one lakh homeless people.
The Supreme Court Jan 20 pulled up the Delhi government for not providing shelter to the homeless. It ordered the government to provide night shelters to all of them immediately, complete with food and toilets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times