SC seeks timely disposal of mercy petition
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday issued notice to the central government on a petition filed by an NGO seeking time-bound disposal of mercy petitions lying with President Pratibha Patil.
Justice B. Sudershan Reddy and Justice S.S. Nijjar issued the notice, returnable in four weeks.
NGO Justice on Trial has sought direction to the government to dispose off all mercy petitions within three months.
The petitioner has said that one of the touchstones of the public considerations is that the mercy petitions should be decided expeditiously in a just and fair manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH