SC Sinha likely to succeed Raju as NIA head
New Delhi: Special Director of the CBI SC Sinha is tipped to be second Chief of National Investigation Agency (NIA), succeeding RV Raju who retires at the end of the month and may move to Central Vigilance Commission.
The name of Sinha, a 1975 batch IPS office of Haryana cadre, is likely to be cleared by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, soon, official sources said.
The name of 56-year-old Sinha is understood to have been cleared by the Union Home Ministry and forwarded to ACC for confirmation.
Sharad Chandra Sinha, whose tenure will be till October 31, 2013, is likely to help the government in implementing various policies in countering the threat of terrorism, which
includes setting up of National Counter Terrorism Centre.
According to the Bill for the formation of the NIA, the Agency will have a concurrent jurisdiction which empowers the Centre to probe terror attacks in any part of the country,
covering offences, including challenge to the country`s sovereignty and integrity.
It can also take up cases relating to bomb blasts, hijacking of aircraft and ships, and attacks on nuclear installations.
Before joining CBI, he was Director General in the State Vigilance Bureau, Haryana. Earlier he had held several important positions in CBI from 1985 to 1990 and from 2002 to 2007, including the post of Joint Director (Economic Offence Wing) and Superintendent of Police.
He has been associated with the investigations of a number of sensitive cases entrusted to CBI by the Supreme Court and High Courts which includes the recent Shopian case
and some others that ended in convictions of the accused.
Sinha, a Post Graduate in Physics from Lucknow University, has been decorated with the Police Medal for Meritorious Service on the eve of Independence Day 1992 and
the President`s Police Medal for Distinguished Service on the eve of Republic Day 2003.
60-year-old Raju is likely to be made a member of the CVC in place of Sudhir Kumar, who retires soon, the sources said.
Raju, a 1975-batch IPS officer, headed the vigilance department in Jammu and Kashmir. He was selected for the post of NIA considering his wide knowledge and experiences in
investigating high-profile cases, including the case of assassination of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared