SC slams ad hoc appointment of teachers, calls them `shiksha shatru`
New Delhi: Appointment of teachers in primary schools on ad hoc basis by various state governments without following proper qualification criteria on Monday drew flak from the Supreme Court which said that such policies are spoiling the entire education system and future of the country.
A bench of justices BS Chauhan and Dipak Misra expressed strong disapproval of such a system and said it was "shocking" that it can be pursued even after the implementation of Right to Education Act.
"A populist principality cannot spoil the future of the the country. We want to know qualification of teachers," the bench said while hearing Gujarat government`s plea on a case pertaining to appointment of "Vidya Sahayak" in primary schools in the state.
"How do you bring such policies when there is Article 21A. It is shocking. There are such appointments in UP also. These Shiksha Sahayaks (helpers) are Shiksha `shatrus` (enemies)," the bench observed asking the state government to place details relating to qualification and appointment of such teachers.
The bench noted that ad-hoc appointment of primary teachers are done in many states which provide them less than one-forth salary given to regular teachers.
"Once we have implemented Article 21A, can we allow such system? Our concern is quality of education and we are very serious about the kind of education we are imparting," it said adding, "We spoil the entire education system by appointing ad-hoc teachers who do not have proper qualification".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’