SC slams insurance cos for harassing insured
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has slammed
the tendency of insurance companies to avoid payment of
compensation to the insured on one pretext or the other saying
"unreasonable" attitude put a serious question mark on the
credibility of the companies.
"We would like to observe that the insurance companies
in genuine and bonafide claims of the insurers should not
adopt the attitude of avoiding payments on one pretext or the
"This attitude put a serious question mark on their
credibility and trustworthiness of the insurance companies.
Incidentally, by adopting an honest approach and attitude the
insurance companies would be able to save enormous litigation
costs and the interest liability," a bench of Justices Dalveer
Bhandari and Harjit Singh Bedi said.
The apex court made the remarks while dismissing an
appeal filed by Oriental Insurance Company challenging an
order passed by the National Consumer Disputes Redressal
Commission (NCDRC) directing compensation of Rs 21.50 lakh to
M/s Ozma Shipping Company.
The compensation was awarded by the fora after a
vessel owned by the shipping company sank with cargo on April
23, 1988. The said amount was originally insured by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why