SC stays graft case proceedings against CK Jaffer
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday stayed proceedings in a 1995 corruption case against former Railway Minister CK Jaffer Sharief.
A bench headed by Justice P Sathasivam also issued notice to CBI on Sharief`s appeal and sought reply within two weeks.
The apex court passed the order after senior counsel PP Rao submitted that the 80-year-old Congress leader was innocent and CBI was trying to make a "mountain out of a mole hill".
Responding to queries from the bench, Rao submitted that Sharief as the Railway Minister at that time was entitled to take personal staff during his foreign trip.
Sharief had approached the apex court against an April 11 order of the Delhi High Court, dismissing his plea challenging a trial court`s decision to reject a CBI closure report in the corruption case against him and prosecute him instead.
Sharief is accused of "dishonestly" ensuring journey of his erstwhile Additional Private Secretary BN Nagesh, stenos SM Masthan and V Muralidharn, and driver CH Samaullah to London with him.
The case dated back to 1995 when Sharief, as a union minister, had gone to London for his treatment and had allegedly taken four of his staff on the trip "unauthorisedly, causing a loss of Rs seven lakh to the state exchequer."
A special CBI court had yesterday framed charges against the former minister for allegedly causing loss to the public exchequer during the foreign jaunt undertaken by him
The special court has fixed August 21 for commencing the trial of Sharief, who has been charged with various offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
On May 10, the apex court had refused to stay the framing of charges against Sharief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation?
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi