SC stays release of Hasan Ali on bail
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday stayed
the release of Pune-based stud farm owner Hasan Ali Khan,
accused in money laundering cases, on bail which was granted
by the Bombay High Court.
A three-judge bench headed by Justice Altamas Kabir said
the effect of the Bombay High Court`s order granting bail to
him shall not be operational till Thursday.
The court passed the order on a petition filed by the
Enforcement Directorate challenging the high court`s order
granting bail to Khan, who has been accused in various money
"Let the matter be listed on Thursday. In the meantime,
order of Bombay High Court of August 12 on bail shall not be
given effect to," the bench said.
"The documents reveal that Hasan Ali Khan has huge funds
in his accounts to the extent of 800 million US dollars with a
bank outside India," the Enforcement Directorate contended.
The agency, in its petition, alleged that various
transactions led by Khan through his foreign bank accounts
reveal his association with international arms dealer Adnan
"The documents point to deep linkage between Khan and
Khashoggi," the agency further said while pressing for stay on
Bombay High Court`s order granting bail to Khan.
The high court had granted bail to Khan on August 12
after observing that the agency had failed to show the wealth
amassed by him was proceeds of crime.
"There are no ingredients of proceeds of crime in the
case made out by the Enforcement Directorate against the
applicant. He deserves to be released on bail," the high court
The ED had said that Khan and his arrested accomplice
Kashinath Tapuriah had deep links with bank officials in the
US, Switzerland, Singapore, UAE and other countries.
It had alleged that Khan has links with Khashoggi, and in
2003, USD 300 million was apparently received by him from the
arms dealer from weapon sales.
It had also said the accused had created a complex maze
of structures and transactions to hide the true source of
funds and frustrate the investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in