SC taking over legislature`s power: Congress MP
New Delhi: The Supreme Court is taking over the law-making powers of the legislatures and there is a need to restore the right of the legislatures and their constitutional dignity, said Rajya Sabha MP from Goa Shantaram Naik on Tuesday.
The Congress MP, who is also the chairman of the Parliamentary Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice was addressing the Advisory Council of the National Mission For Justice Delivery and Legal Reforms.
"The Supreme Court today lays guidelines through a number of judgments and expects everybody to follow the same as if it is a legislation enacted by parliament or state legislature," Naik said in a statement.
He said the apex court`s empowerment committees had "virtually taken over government department(s)".
The MP said it was not the environment and forests ministry which decided environment- related issues but it was the Empowerment Committee constituted by the Supreme Court which submitted its report on the basis of which the decisions were given.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH