SC taking over legislature`s power: Congress MP
New Delhi: The Supreme Court is taking over the law-making powers of the legislatures and there is a need to restore the right of the legislatures and their constitutional dignity, said Rajya Sabha MP from Goa Shantaram Naik on Tuesday.
The Congress MP, who is also the chairman of the Parliamentary Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice was addressing the Advisory Council of the National Mission For Justice Delivery and Legal Reforms.
"The Supreme Court today lays guidelines through a number of judgments and expects everybody to follow the same as if it is a legislation enacted by parliament or state legislature," Naik said in a statement.
He said the apex court`s empowerment committees had "virtually taken over government department(s)".
The MP said it was not the environment and forests ministry which decided environment- related issues but it was the Empowerment Committee constituted by the Supreme Court which submitted its report on the basis of which the decisions were given.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals