SC ticks off CBI for opposing Sanjay Dutt`s plea
New Delhi: The CBI on Wednesday faced embarrassment in the Supreme Court which said the agency that opted not to challenge Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt`s acquittal under anti- terror law TADA in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case was opposing his plea seeking more time for surrender.
"We are saying it in a lighter vein, you have not challenged his (Dutt`s) acquittal under TADA when you filed many appeals in other cases. Who prevented you from filing appeal. In many appeals filed by the CBI, we enhanced the sentence," a bench of justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan said when the agency pleaded that court should not grant any relief to the actor.
Additional Solicitor General Haren Rawal submitted that no extension of time should be given to Dutt on the ground of "commercial interest" to complete his unfinished films.
He said that any extension given to Dutt would open a floodgate as similar appeals would be made by other convicts also.
The bench, however, was not satisfied with his contention and said that if similar plea is made by the other convicts then it would decide such petitions on case to case basis.
"The prosecuting agency had itself not taken interest in the case," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing