SC ticks off judge for changing birth date 20 years later
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday ticked
off an Additional Sessions Judge of Punjab for seeking a
change of his date of birth records 20 years after joining the
The apex court quashed the Punjab and Haryana High Court
judgement, which had upheld the judge`s plea, and said it was
refraining from imposing any penalty on the judge keeping in
view the fact that he had already retired in 2003.
A vacation bench of the apex court comprising Justices G
S Singhvi and C K Prasad wondered whether Additional Sessions
Judge(since retd) Megh Raj Garg was so ignorant that being a
judge he was not even aware of his own age!
The bench said Garg, being a judge and dealing with the
cases of the general public, ought to know his own date of
birth at the time of joining the service.
"You are a judge dealing with the public. Don`t you know
you own date of birth?" You want to change your date of birth
after 20 years?" the bench snapped at Garg`s counsel.
Interestingly, though the Punjab and Haryana High Court
had ruled in the judge`s favour, the administrative wing of
the high court chose to appeal in the Supreme Court against
its own judgement through counsel Ajay Pal.
The service conditions of the judicial officers in the
state are governed by the respective high courts.
Garg joined the Punjab judicial services in 1973 as a sub
judge-cum-judicial magistrate, II class and indicated his date
of birth as March 27, 1936. In fact, twice prior to joining
the services when he vied for the post, he had indicated the
However, in 1983, he made a representation to government
for changing his date of birth to March 27, 1938, which was
rejected by the authorities as a rectification is permissible
only within two years of joining the service.
In 1993, Garg filed a civil suit challenging the
rejection. By concurrent findings, the Senior Sub Judge,
Chandigarh, the Additional District Judge and thereafter the
Punjab and Haryana High Court directed the authorities to
effect the change of date as sought by the judge.
Quashing the judgements of the three courts, the apex
court noted that Garg had thrice applied for the post and on
all occasions had mentioned the date of birth as March 27,
"We would have saddled the respondent with costs
(penalty) but since he has retired from services, we are
refraining from doing so," Justice Singhvi said in his order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo