SC to consider PIL on paid news in media during elections
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monay said it will consider hearing a PIL on April 11 highlighting the alleged practice of paid news in the electronic and print media.
The petition seeking to prohibit the electronic and print media from broadcasting and publishing such news items was mentioned before a bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam which said the matter will be listed on Friday.
The PIL, filed by advocate M L Sharma, has made the Centre, Election Commission of India and five regional media houses as respondents.
He has also sought a direction for investigation and prosecution against the media houses allegedly indulging in the practice of paid news claiming that it amounts to inducement to secure votes by way of advertisement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai