SC to examine implementation of its guidelines on strikes
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday decided to examine alleged non-implementation and non-compliance of its guidelines on the issue of strikes and `dharnas` by political parties and others which have in many cases resulted in destruction of public and private property.
A bench comprising justices P Sathasivam and J S Khehar issued notices to the Centre and all state governments and sought their responses on the allegation that the apex court guidelines issued in this regard in 2007 and 2009 have not been implemented.
The bench, while granting them eight weeks time, also directed them to file status reports explaining as to the steps they have taken to implement the guidelines issued by the court and to prevent destruction of public and private property during demonstrations and `hartals`.
The court passed the direction on a PIL filed by advocate Koshy Jacob who gave instances of such `bandhs` or `hartals` declared by political parties in Kerala.
"We will examine this, but the fact remains that you have only highlighted the instances from Kerala," the bench said, asking Jacob`s counsel and senior advocate M N Krishnamani to give information regarding such `bandh` or `hartal` from other states in the next hearing.
The counsel told the court that they had sought the information under Right to Information Act from other states but they were not given the material.
The PIL submitted that there were wilful and deliberate omission on the parts of the authorities to comply with the April 16, 2009 guidelines passed by the apex court in a matter relating to destruction of public and private properties.
The PIL alleged that if a `bandh` or `hartal` was declared by a political party in power, the state government remained mute spectators in disregarding the judgements and guidelines of the apex court, which results in destruction of private and public property in large cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan