SC to examine implementation of its guidelines on strikes
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday decided to examine alleged non-implementation and non-compliance of its guidelines on the issue of strikes and `dharnas` by political parties and others which have in many cases resulted in destruction of public and private property.
A bench comprising justices P Sathasivam and J S Khehar issued notices to the Centre and all state governments and sought their responses on the allegation that the apex court guidelines issued in this regard in 2007 and 2009 have not been implemented.
The bench, while granting them eight weeks time, also directed them to file status reports explaining as to the steps they have taken to implement the guidelines issued by the court and to prevent destruction of public and private property during demonstrations and `hartals`.
The court passed the direction on a PIL filed by advocate Koshy Jacob who gave instances of such `bandhs` or `hartals` declared by political parties in Kerala.
"We will examine this, but the fact remains that you have only highlighted the instances from Kerala," the bench said, asking Jacob`s counsel and senior advocate M N Krishnamani to give information regarding such `bandh` or `hartal` from other states in the next hearing.
The counsel told the court that they had sought the information under Right to Information Act from other states but they were not given the material.
The PIL submitted that there were wilful and deliberate omission on the parts of the authorities to comply with the April 16, 2009 guidelines passed by the apex court in a matter relating to destruction of public and private properties.
The PIL alleged that if a `bandh` or `hartal` was declared by a political party in power, the state government remained mute spectators in disregarding the judgements and guidelines of the apex court, which results in destruction of private and public property in large cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof