SC to hear PIL seeking speedy trials in rape cases
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday agreed to hear a PIL filed by a former woman IAS officer seeking directions to the government to ensure safety of women and for conduct of fast-track court proceedings in all rape cases.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir will hear tomorrow the PIL which also sought suspension of MPs and MLAs in case a charge sheet is filed against them for crime against women.
In her PIL, retired IAS officer Promilla Shanker has pleaded with the court to direct the government to set up fast-track courts in all states for expeditious trial of rape cases.
She also submitted that cases of rape and crime against women and children be investigated by lady police officials and trial be conducted by lady judges.
Meanwhile, another bench comprising justices P Sathasivam and Ranjan Gogoi issued notices to the Centre and all the states and sought their response on another PIL by advocate Mukesh Kumar seeking safety measures for women.
Kumar, in his PIL, demanded creation of women police stations in every town to investigate complaints of rape and sexual assault against women.
It also sought steps for implementation of UN convention on elimination of all forms of discrimination against women.
The court asked the Centre and the states to file their responses in four weeks.
The PILs come in the backdrop of the nation-wide outrage over December 16 brutal gang-rape and assault of a 23-year-old woman in Delhi, who died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation