SC to hear Rajesh Talwar`s bail plea on Monday
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will hear
on Monday the bail plea of dentist Rajesh Talwar who has been
asked to face trial along with his wife for allegedly
murdering their teenage daughter Aarushi and domestic help in
A bench of justices AK Ganguly and JS Khehar, which had
dismissed the couple`s plea to quash the criminal proceedings
against them, will hear the petition for interim bail in the
sensational murder case.
14-year-old Aarushi, the only daughter of the Talwars,
was found dead with her throat slit at the family`s Noida
residence on the intervening night of May 15-16, 2008 and the
body of domestic help Hemraj was found on the terrace the next
The apex court had, on January 6 asked the dentist couple
to face trial in the murder of Aarushi, a class nine student,
The bench had said there was nothing wrong in the
Ghaziabad magistrate`s order taking cognisance against them
and putting them on trial as the trial judge passed the order
after applying his mind.
"We feel constrained to observe that the court should
exercise utmost restraint before interfering in the
magistrate`s order," the bench had said adding, "The
magistrate has applied his mind to come to the conclusion of
taking cognisance in the case".
The investigation in the case was initially carried out
by the Uttar Pradesh Police which had arrested Aarushi`s
father on May 23, 2008.
The probe was subsequently handed over to the CBI on May
29, 2008 and Rajesh was granted bail by the Ghaziabad court on
July 11, 2008.
The CBI after probing the murder for over two-and-half
years filed its closure report in the case in the Ghaziabad
special CBI court, saying it had been unable to find out any
evidence to prosecute the Talwars.
The trial court, however, rejected the CBI closure
report, saying there was enough prima facie material in the
agency`s report to put the couple on trial for their alleged
involvement in the twin murders and had issued summons to them
to face trial.
The magistrate took cognisance of the case and summoned
Talwars on February 9, 2011.
Rajesh and Nupur had subsequently gone to the Allahabad
High Court, which had dismissed their pleas to quash the trial
court summons and the proceedings initiated against them.
The Talwar couple then approached the apex court which
had on March 19 last year stayed the trial against them but it
vacated the stay on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH