SC to hear Tata`s plea on Radia tapes today
The Supreme Court will take up Tuesday Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata`s plea on the right to privacy after the leakage of his telephonic conversations with corporate lobbyist Niira Radia tapped by the Income Tax Department.
A bench headed by Justices G S Singhvi will examine the issues raised by Tata, including the questions of right to privacy and right to freedom of speech and expression as envisaged under the Constitution.
The court had on December 2 last issued notices to the Centre and news magazines `Open` and `Outlook` which had published some portions of the transcripts of Radia`s conversations with several people including Tata.
The counsel for `Outlook` magazine Anoop Bhambani said his team of lawyers is all set to defend the news weekly and will contest all the issues.
The bench had also issued notices to the Union Home Secretary, CBI, the Income Tax Department and the Finance Ministry.
Tata, in his petition, has said that several parts of the conversations were purely private in nature which were spoken casually and could not be taken seriously. He pleaded the online portals and the news media should be restrained from making his conversations public.
Tata has also sought action against those involved in the leaking of the tapes, saying such an act amounts to the infringement of his fundamental right to life, which includes his right to privacy under Article 21 of the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested