SC to take up Cauvery water release issue
New Delhi: Four days after it directed Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs of water from Cauvery River to Tamil Nadu; the Supreme Court will take up the issue for hearing on Monday.
The court’s stand on the issue is eagerly awaited by both the sides. Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar has described as "arbitrary" the decision of Cauvery Monitoring Committee that his state release 12 tmcft of water to Tamil Nadu and said he will challenge it before the Cauvery River Authority.
"It is an arbitrary decision and without any basis. The Cauvery Monitoring Committee had published a formula that Karnataka should release 6.12 tmcft of water during December under the distress formula," Shettar said.
He said that the CMC had ordered that Karnataka release 12 tmcft of water and insisted this was not acceptable to the state.
"We will be challenging this order before the Cauvery River Authority," he said.
At a meeting of the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) in New Delhi, secretary, water resources DV Singh, who chairs the panel, told representatives of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry that steps "shall" be taken to notify the final award of the tribunal at the earliest "but not later than the end of this month."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!