SC to take up Cauvery water release issue
New Delhi: Four days after it directed Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs of water from Cauvery River to Tamil Nadu; the Supreme Court will take up the issue for hearing on Monday.
The court’s stand on the issue is eagerly awaited by both the sides. Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar has described as "arbitrary" the decision of Cauvery Monitoring Committee that his state release 12 tmcft of water to Tamil Nadu and said he will challenge it before the Cauvery River Authority.
"It is an arbitrary decision and without any basis. The Cauvery Monitoring Committee had published a formula that Karnataka should release 6.12 tmcft of water during December under the distress formula," Shettar said.
He said that the CMC had ordered that Karnataka release 12 tmcft of water and insisted this was not acceptable to the state.
"We will be challenging this order before the Cauvery River Authority," he said.
At a meeting of the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) in New Delhi, secretary, water resources DV Singh, who chairs the panel, told representatives of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry that steps "shall" be taken to notify the final award of the tribunal at the earliest "but not later than the end of this month."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- 1 die, 3 injured as fire breaks out in highrise
- Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome on brink of 3rd title as Ion Izaguirre wins penultimate stage
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar monitors search operations but no sign of missing IAF plane
- President Mukherjee, PM Modi condemns suicide attack in Kabul
- In-form Indian women hockey team beats Canada 3-1