SC transfers defamation case against Patkar to Delhi
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday shifted
the trial in a defamation case against Narmada Bachao Andolan
activist Medha Patkar from Gujarat to the national capital,
allowing her plea in this regard.
The NBA leader had sought transfer of the case filed by V
K Saxena, president of Ahmedabad-based NGO National Council
for Civil Liberties (NCCL), in a Gujarat court in 2006 for her
allegedly defamatory remarks during a TV debate pertaining to
Sardar Sarovar Project.
The court took into account that earlier also it had
shfited a defamation case to Patiala House court here from
A Bench comprising Justices B Sudershan Reddy and S S
Nijjar declined the submission of Saxena`s counsel Amar Dave
to put some conditions for shifting the trial.
During the brief hearing when Patkar`s counsel Prashant
Bhushan informed the Bench about the other case being heard at
the Patiala House court, Dave questioned the conduct of the
NBA leader saying she was not prosecuting that case and was
avoiding appearance before the trial court.
Saxena`s counsel said Patkar has been visiting Gujarat
and it would be no problem for her if the case was shifted
outside Ahmedabad at any other place in Gujarat.
However, the Bench said since another case is already
placed before a trial court here, the complainant should not
have any problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened