SC turns down plea for fresh probe in blast cases by SIT
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed a PIL seeking fresh probe into all post 2002 bomb blast cases by a special committee headed by its retired judge.
"At the very outset, we wish to state that if the prayer of the petitioners were to be accepted for whatever grounds stated in the petition and any such Committee is directed to be constituted that will only result in making a roving inquiry into the various criminal proceedings so far lodged connected with cases of bomb blasts all over the country. We are not, therefore, inclined to countenance such a wide prayer," the court said.
A bench of Justices TS Thakur and FM Ibrahim Kalifulla said that it will ultimately result in utter chaos if such a committee is appointed by it.
The Public Interest Litigation (PIL) was filed by two Mumbai residents who alleged that there were many loopholes in the probe done by various agencies in such cases and they need to be investigated by an impartial committee as the police are deliberately targeting innocent Muslims in those cases.
Dismissing the petition, the bench said that there are sufficient safeguards provided under various laws and it would be premature to say that some people have been falsely implicated in those cases.
"If anyone is falsely roped in any offence either under the provisions of Indian Penal Code or under any other special enactments, by way of criminal proceeding, it is needless to state that there are enough safeguards provided under various laws and under the criminal law jurisprudence, to protect the interest of any such person claiming himself to be innocent and demonstrate before the concerned fora that he has been falsely implicated in any offence.
"Therefore, it will be for the concerned individual against whom any criminal proceeding is lodged to work out his remedy," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read