SC turns down plea for fresh probe in blast cases by SIT
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed a PIL seeking fresh probe into all post 2002 bomb blast cases by a special committee headed by its retired judge.
"At the very outset, we wish to state that if the prayer of the petitioners were to be accepted for whatever grounds stated in the petition and any such Committee is directed to be constituted that will only result in making a roving inquiry into the various criminal proceedings so far lodged connected with cases of bomb blasts all over the country. We are not, therefore, inclined to countenance such a wide prayer," the court said.
A bench of Justices TS Thakur and FM Ibrahim Kalifulla said that it will ultimately result in utter chaos if such a committee is appointed by it.
The Public Interest Litigation (PIL) was filed by two Mumbai residents who alleged that there were many loopholes in the probe done by various agencies in such cases and they need to be investigated by an impartial committee as the police are deliberately targeting innocent Muslims in those cases.
Dismissing the petition, the bench said that there are sufficient safeguards provided under various laws and it would be premature to say that some people have been falsely implicated in those cases.
"If anyone is falsely roped in any offence either under the provisions of Indian Penal Code or under any other special enactments, by way of criminal proceeding, it is needless to state that there are enough safeguards provided under various laws and under the criminal law jurisprudence, to protect the interest of any such person claiming himself to be innocent and demonstrate before the concerned fora that he has been falsely implicated in any offence.
"Therefore, it will be for the concerned individual against whom any criminal proceeding is lodged to work out his remedy," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic