SC upholds Centre`s decision to include Jats in OBC
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: In a major boost to the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre, the Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to put a stay on its notification to include Jats in central list of OBCs in nine states.
The apex court, while passing the order, said, “We are prima facie satisfied that there is material to
take the decision to include Jats in the OBC category.”
The development comes as a major boost for the Congress-led UPA government as the apex court had on April 1 issued a notice to it and asked it furnish all relevant records to substantiate its decision to include the Jat community in the OBC list.
The UPA government`s election-inspired decision taken on March 3 is likely to benefit around nine crore people.
The apex court asked the Centre to bring all relevant records to show there was proper consideration of National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) report to reject its recommendation against inclusion of Jats in the list of OBCs.
The NCBC had objected to the recommendation, saying Jats are a forward community mostly of zamindars.
"It is a serious matter and we will seek the assistance of Attorney General," the court observed. It has decided to hear the plea on April 9.
The petitioners had alleged that the UPA government`s decision was a desperate measure to create a vote bank. Last month, the Union Cabinet cleared an ordinance paving way for Jat reservation in government jobs.
The decision aims at providing the Jat community members the benefits of reservation in central government jobs and central education institutions as per the existing norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof