SC upholds death for two for setting ablaze family members
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the death sentence of two persons for setting ablaze seven people, including five kids of a family, after locking them in a house in a Bihar village nearly seven years ago.
A bench headed by Justice H L Dattu termed the incident as "extremely revolting" that shocked the collective conscience of the community and refused to shoe leniency towards the two convicts.
It however, commuted the death penalty to life imprisonment of third convict who was also awarded capital punishment by the lower court and confirmed by the Patna High Court.
"We are of the considered view that the instant case falls in such category of rarest of the rare cases where culpability has assumed the proportion of extreme depravity and the appellant-accused are perfect example of a blood-thirsty, scheming and hardened criminals who slayed seven innocent lives to quench their thirst for revenge and such revenge evolving out of a fellow citizen`s refusal to abstain from resorting to machinery of law to protect his rights.
"The entire incident is extremely revolting and shocks the collective conscience of the community. The acts of murder committed by the appellants are so gruesome, merciless and brutal that the aggravating circumstances far outweigh the mitigating circumstances," the bench said.
The incident had taken place on January 1, 2006 in a village at Vaishali district of Bihar when convicts Jagat Rai and Deepak Rai had locked the victims inside their house and set them ablaze at around 1 AM. Five kids aged 12, 10, 8, 6 and 3 years, were among the victims along with their parents, a police informer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore