SC upholds land acquisition policy of UP govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday upheld the land acquisition policy of the Uttar Pradesh government for development of projects alongside the Yamuna Expressway connecting the national capital with Agra.
A bench comprising Justices V S Sirpurkar and Cyriac Joseph dismissed the appeal filed by some farmers challenging the Allahabad High Court decision which had upheld the policy of the Mayawati government.
The court did not agree with the contention of the farmers that the land was acquired for a private purpose and not for a public purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured