SC upholds land acquisition policy of UP govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday upheld the land acquisition policy of the Uttar Pradesh government for development of projects alongside the Yamuna Expressway connecting the national capital with Agra.
A bench comprising Justices V S Sirpurkar and Cyriac Joseph dismissed the appeal filed by some farmers challenging the Allahabad High Court decision which had upheld the policy of the Mayawati government.
The court did not agree with the contention of the farmers that the land was acquired for a private purpose and not for a public purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US