SC upholds land acquisition policy of UP govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday upheld the land acquisition policy of the Uttar Pradesh government for development of projects alongside the Yamuna Expressway connecting the national capital with Agra.
A bench comprising Justices V S Sirpurkar and Cyriac Joseph dismissed the appeal filed by some farmers challenging the Allahabad High Court decision which had upheld the policy of the Mayawati government.
The court did not agree with the contention of the farmers that the land was acquired for a private purpose and not for a public purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Usain Bolt pictured with Brazilian student on 30th Birthday – Photos go Viral!
- India ready to give 'all help': EAM Swaraj to Myanmar
- Iran chastises Russia for publicising use of Iranian bases
- Poll shows that most Israelis, Palestinians still seek peace
- Gionee to set up manufacturing unit, invest Rs 500 crore