SC upholds life imprisonment for ragging related murder
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the
life imprisonment of a Tamil Nadu medical student who murdered
a fellow student Navarasu in a gruesome manner after the
victim had resisted his ragging.
A bench of justices Dalveer Bhandari and Mukundakam
Sharma reversed the acquittal order passed by the Madras High
Court and restored the "double life" imprisonment of John
The apex court accepted the submission of Tamil Nadu`s
counsel S Thananjeyan that the prosecution had established
beyond doubt the involvement of David in the gruesome murder
after which he dismembered the body into several pieces and
The case of the prosecution was that David, a senior
medical student used to rag the victim Navarasu, son of the
then Madras University Vice Chancellor Ponnuswamy.
The two reportedly had a fight on November 6, 1996, when
David is alleged to have killed Navarsu. Thereafter, it
was alleged that David chopped the body into pieces and threw
the severed head into the canal of the university.
The torso was carried in a suitcase and dumped in a
state-owned bus at Chennai. The limbs were thrown at
Puducherry en route to Chennai, the prosecution claimed.
On the basis of circumstantial evidence, the sessions
court had sentenced David to life imprisonment but the Madras
High Court acquitted him due to lack of sufficient evidence.
Aggrieved, the state had appealed against David`s
aquittal in the apex court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’