SC verdict must be respected by government: Kapil Sibal
New Delhi: It is the Supreme Court`s prerogative to test the constitutionality of the law and their verdict on homosexuality as an offence must be respected by the government, Law Minister Kapil Sibal said on Wednesday.
"It is the prerogative of the Supreme Court to judge the constitutionality and validity of the law. The opinion of the Supreme Court must be respected by the government. They have exercised their prerogative now, we shall exercise ours," Kapil Sibal told reporters outside Parliament.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday held that consensual sex between adults of the same gender is an offence as it set aside the Delhi High Court verdict of 2009. The Delhi High Court had decriminalised sexual relationship between adults of the same gender under Section 377.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt