SC verdict must be respected by government: Kapil Sibal
New Delhi: It is the Supreme Court`s prerogative to test the constitutionality of the law and their verdict on homosexuality as an offence must be respected by the government, Law Minister Kapil Sibal said on Wednesday.
"It is the prerogative of the Supreme Court to judge the constitutionality and validity of the law. The opinion of the Supreme Court must be respected by the government. They have exercised their prerogative now, we shall exercise ours," Kapil Sibal told reporters outside Parliament.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday held that consensual sex between adults of the same gender is an offence as it set aside the Delhi High Court verdict of 2009. The Delhi High Court had decriminalised sexual relationship between adults of the same gender under Section 377.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery