SC verdict on homosexuality `retrograde`: Ramesh
New Delhi: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Wednesday termed as "retrograde" the Supreme Court verdict that upheld a law criminalising homosexuality and wondered why it is a crime if two consenting men and two consenting women share physical relations.
"Personally, I think it is a retrograde judgement and it has no justice to a modern liberal India. If two consenting men and two consenting women...Why should be illegal," Ramesh said reacting to the apex court verdict.
"It is choice issue...Personal choice...It is a liberal society, a modern society...A society that gives choice to individual...Suddenly if it is illegal....?," the Rural Development Minister said.
His statement came as the government today indicated that it will take the legislative route to deal with the issue.
The apex court in its verdict put the ball in Parliament`s court to decide on the desirability of deleting the relevant section from Indian Penal Code.
Ramesh said he support the Delhi High Court`s verdict which had in 2009 decriminalised gay sex among consenting adults in private.
"I thought A P Shah was on the right track," he said.
A two-member bench of the High Court comprising justice A P Shah and Justice S Muralidhar had decriminalised gay sex as provided in Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and had ruled that sex between two consenting adults in private would not be an offence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February