SC verdict on SPOs setback to security: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday termed as a "setback to
national security" the Supreme Court judgement on Naxalism,
that restrained the Chhattisgarh government and the Centre
from appointing and arming tribals as Special Police Officers.
"While the BJP is studying the Supreme Court judgement on
Naxalism, it is a setback to national security," said BJP
spokesman Shahnawaz Hussain.
Hussain said, "Naxalism is a big threat to national
security and the morale of Naxals was high, of late. The
nation is worried over Naxalism and terrorism."
The BJP leader said, "Naxals were not just against the
state government, but against India as a whole. They just had
their headquarters based in Chhattisgarh, as it suited them
The apex court had yesterday restrained the Chhattisgarh
government and the Centre from appointing tribals as Special
Police Officers and arming them to counter Maoists, and termed
the step of appointing tribal youths as SPOs as
Hussain said the government is fighting a battle against
them in six states in cooperation with the state governments
and there was no politics played on the issue of Naxalism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 'Quality health care must for India'
- Bombay HC allows women to enter inner sanctum of Haji Ali Dargah; activists hail 'momentous' verdict
- Pakistan's Sami Aslam reveals why he always recalls these words from Sachin Tendulkar's retirement speech
- Subramanian Swamy fires fresh salvo at Raghuram Rajan, claims he has no degree in economics
- Dwayne Bravo all set to make singing debut in Bollywood! - Details inside