SC verdict on SPOs setback to security: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday termed as a "setback to
national security" the Supreme Court judgement on Naxalism,
that restrained the Chhattisgarh government and the Centre
from appointing and arming tribals as Special Police Officers.
"While the BJP is studying the Supreme Court judgement on
Naxalism, it is a setback to national security," said BJP
spokesman Shahnawaz Hussain.
Hussain said, "Naxalism is a big threat to national
security and the morale of Naxals was high, of late. The
nation is worried over Naxalism and terrorism."
The BJP leader said, "Naxals were not just against the
state government, but against India as a whole. They just had
their headquarters based in Chhattisgarh, as it suited them
The apex court had yesterday restrained the Chhattisgarh
government and the Centre from appointing tribals as Special
Police Officers and arming them to counter Maoists, and termed
the step of appointing tribal youths as SPOs as
Hussain said the government is fighting a battle against
them in six states in cooperation with the state governments
and there was no politics played on the issue of Naxalism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say