SC watches CCTV footage of 26/11 carnage
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday heard the intercepted conversations between the perpetrators of 26/11 Mumbai terror attack and their Pakistani handlers and watched
the CCTV footage of the carnage.
The visuals and audio tapes were played before a bench of justices Aftab Alam and CK Prasad in the Supreme Court judges` conference room in the presence of the counsel
appearing for Kasab and Maharshtra government.
The court had yesterday expressed the desire to listen to the intercepted conversations and watch CCTV visuals.
Hearing an appeal of Mohd Ajmal Amir Kasab, the sole surviving perpetrator of the attack and convict of the carnage, against his death sentence, the court had said it would hear the intercepts in the presence of the counsel appearing for Kasab and the Maharashtra government.
Former Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam, appearing for Maharshtra government, had yesterday said there was no problem in playing the conversations in the court.
The prosecution had earlier told the court that the intercepts among the ten terrorists and their handlers in Pakistan established that the terror attack in Mumbai, in which 166 people were killed, was "pre-planned and pre-arranged."
The apex court was told that evidence in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case involving Kasab and nine slain terrorists clearly showed it to be a "pre-meditated" assault on the
country`s commercial capital by Pakistani terrorists guided by their handlers from across the border.
The prosecution said while the attack was launched at the Hotel Taj at the Gateway of India, the terrorists were interacting with their Pakistani handlers and the intercepted
conversations clearly showed that they (handlers) had asked them (terrorists) as to "why they did not sink the Kuber boat".
Subramaniam said the Pakistani handlers had also sought confirmation about the killing of the navigator of Kuber, Amar Singh Solanki, who was beheaded by Kasab.
The diary also disclosed that Kasab was known by the name Mujaheed to other terrorists.
The prosecution said that on reaching Budhawar Park, Kasab and another Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorist Abu Ismaile took a taxi and proceeded towards Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST)
Railway Station which bore the major brunt of their design.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls