SC/ST job promotions quota bill introduced in RS
New Delhi: Amid pandemonium, the government tabled a Bill providing for reservation to SCs and STs in promotions in government jobs in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
The bill was introduced in Parliament after the Union Cabinet approved a proposal to amend Article 16(4) of the Constitution to remove the term "inadequate representation" to justify reservation in promotion and appointments.
The Constitution Amendment Bill was introduced in the Rajya Sabha by MoS in the PMO V Narayanasamy shortly after 12 noon for consideration and passage.
However, MPs belonging to the Samajwadi Party and Bahujan Samaj Party almost came to blows inside the house.
The Bahujan Samaj Party has been a champion of the Bill, which has been accepted by most of the parties, barring the Samajwadi Party.
The house was adjourned till 2 pm amid growing ruckus as BJP members continued to shout slogans demanding resignation of the Prime Minister.
The BJP’s stand on the bill would be important. The party, which has brought parliamentary proceeding to a halt over the coalgate issue, has alleged that the Congress-led government has hastened the Bill’s passage to nullify its protest in Parliament.
As the Bill is a Constitutional Amendment Bill, both houses of the Parliament would have to pass it with 2/3rd majority. The BJP has not yet promised support, its stand can at best be termed as ambiguous.
The previous Uttar Pradesh government headed by Mayawati had provided reservation benefits for SCs, STs in promotions to higher posts in government jobs.
The Allahabad High Court has struck down the government decision.
The Supreme Court on April 28 has upheld the High Court order and termed the state government decision as unconstitutional and done without any sufficient data.
Subsequently, when the current Monsoon session of Parliament began on August 8, several parties vociferously demanded that a bill be brought to circumvent the SC decision.
In view of these demands, the government promised on August 9 that a Bill would be brought in Parliament.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?