Scattered protests in country in support of Anna
Jammu/Chennai: As Anna Hazare embarked on
his fast in Mumbai and Team Anna held fort in Delhi on Tuesday,
scattered protests by his supporters against a "weak" Lokpal
Bill were reported elsewhere in the country.
The supporters of the 74-year-old Gandhian launched
protest dharnas in Chandigarh, Jammu, Kolkata, Chennai and
Bangalore among other cities but reports suggested that the
stir received a less than enthusiastic response.
Nearly 50 Team Anna supporters were taken into custody
by the Chandigarh Police for holding a protest demonstration
in the Union Territory without permission.
Police said the protesters were rounded up from close
to the Sector 17 inter-state bus terminus.
"The group did not have any permission to hold protest
demonstration and we removed them from there as per law. We
will book them under relevant sections of the law," a Sector
19 police official said.
However, a Team Anna member in Chandigarh called the
police action as undemocratic.
"We were sitting in a peaceful manner causing no
threat to the law and order. This action of police is
undemocratic and against our right to hold protest in a
peaceful manner," he said.
In Kolkata, a handful of his supporters sat on a dharna
in front of Mahajati Sadan.
Holding placards, they raised slogans saying "We
support Anna. Anna go ahead, we are with you."
Braving cold condition and morning chill, around 200
activists of 17 social, trade, religious and community
organisations under the banner `Jammu and Kashmir--India
Against Corruption" launched a protest dharna in Jammu
outside the Press Club premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray