School kids appeal to Prez to save forests
New Delhi: On the occasion of Children`s Day, school children Monday appealed to President Pratibha Patil to join in their fight to save the country`s forests and wildlife.
As part of Greenpeace Green Warriors initiative, five children from three schools held banners saying `Save the forests` during their meet with the president.
According to a statement issued here, over 15 lakh acres of forests, being discussed by a Group of Ministers on coal, are threatened due to unbridled coal mining and thermal power plants.
"The government is bent on compromising our forests and its diversity for the few tonnes of coal in the name of electricity for the people, especially when there are alternatives available," the statement added.
Greenpeace India public engagement campaigner Usha Saxena said: "Forests and the resources they provide are crucial for our future and it is our responsibility to protect them for our future generation."
"It`s important for the children of today to stand up for the forests and wildlife for the children of tomorrow," Saxena said.
Vaishnavi Nair, a Class 9 student of Mother`s International School in the capital, said she wants the president to join their campaign to protect the forests so that tigers and other animals and people who dependent on it can have a safe home.
"This is possible only if we together tell the government to stop destroying the forests in our name," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena