School textbooks to impart lessons on tax compliance
New Delhi: The government will sensitise children about the importance of taxes in nation building through text books.
"In line with the government`s emphasis on promoting voluntary compliance of tax laws and recognising the role of that today`s children will play in tomorrow`s society, we need to educate them on importance of taxes for the nation building process," Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said in his address to top officials of Income Tax Department here.
"I am happy to know that the Department has partnered with NCERT to introduce information in this regard in the school textbooks," he informed.
The government has been taking several steps to deal with the menace of black money.
He said black money eats into the vitals of the national economy and also poses threats to national security through linkages to money laundering and terrorism.
Mukherjee also asked the tax officials to pursue "some more" innovative ideas, such as using `single-window` mobile vans in tier-II and tier-III cities to take the department`s service to the taxpayer`s door-step and reduce compliance costs.
"I also welcome the steps that you are taking in training the tax officials in soft skills and ethics, especially on `traits of consciousness` and `traits of dependability`, with a view to create a more responsive department and encouraging compliance by the tax payers," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth