School textbooks to impart lessons on tax compliance
New Delhi: The government will sensitise children about the importance of taxes in nation building through text books.
"In line with the government`s emphasis on promoting voluntary compliance of tax laws and recognising the role of that today`s children will play in tomorrow`s society, we need to educate them on importance of taxes for the nation building process," Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said in his address to top officials of Income Tax Department here.
"I am happy to know that the Department has partnered with NCERT to introduce information in this regard in the school textbooks," he informed.
The government has been taking several steps to deal with the menace of black money.
He said black money eats into the vitals of the national economy and also poses threats to national security through linkages to money laundering and terrorism.
Mukherjee also asked the tax officials to pursue "some more" innovative ideas, such as using `single-window` mobile vans in tier-II and tier-III cities to take the department`s service to the taxpayer`s door-step and reduce compliance costs.
"I also welcome the steps that you are taking in training the tax officials in soft skills and ethics, especially on `traits of consciousness` and `traits of dependability`, with a view to create a more responsive department and encouraging compliance by the tax payers," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly