School van catches fire in Azamgarh; 11 students hurt
Azamgarh: A school van caught fire near Naseerpur village in Azamgarh district of Uttar Pradesh on Saturday morning.
According to reports, fifteen children have sustained burn injuries in the incident.
All the students, who are in the age group of 8-13 years, are being treated in the Azamgarh district hospital. Doctors said the condition of three is critical.
According to police, the accident took place in the Bilariyaganj area, where the van of the Ma Yashoda Inter College caught fire.
The incident occurred in Bilriaganj areas when the van
carrying 22 students of a private school caught fire after the
driver tried to start it.
While the van driver escaped from the spot immediately
after the vehicle caught fire, 12-year-old student Om Prakash
managed to open the rear door from which the children came out
of the vehicle.
"While Om Prakash sustained 50 per cent burn injuries,
other children sustained 20 to 40 per cent injuries," doctors
treating them said.
Superintendent of Police Sarvesh Kumar Rana said
though the van was fitted with a CNG kit, it seemed that it
was filled with LPG.
"Efforts are being made to trace the van driver and
stern action will be taken against him," he said.
"Preliminary investigations reveal that the van caught fire due to leakage in the LPG kit fitted in the vehicle," acting District Magistrate Chhotelal told a news agency over telephone from Azamgarh, some 350 km from Lucknow.
(With agencies inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Disability of witness does not affect credibility: HC
- EU `strong enough` to survive Brexit: Angela Merkel
- Member of J&K Constituent Assembly Peerzada Ghulam Jeelani passes away
- One of the suspects arrested in the Maidservant rape case in Thane
- Haryana RS elections: Experts question delay in raising objection to Election Commission