Scores of Asaram Bapu supporters protest in Delhi, want FIR quashed
New Delhi: Around 500 supporters of Asaram Bapu Friday gathered outside the Kamla Market police station in central Delhi, where a minor girl had lodged a complaint alleging sexual assault by the spiritual leader, and asked that the FIR be quashed.
The supporters gathered at the police station around 10 a.m., and raised slogans against the police and the media, accusing them of trying to dent the image of the spiritual leader.
Later, the supporters of Asaram Bapu marched towards Jantar Mantar.
According to the complaint, the sexual assault took place Aug 15 at an ashram in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, where the girl had gone for medical treatment.
The girl, a native of Uttar Pradesh`s Shahjahanpur district, visited Asaram Bapu along with her family. Police said Asaram Bapu took the girl to a separate room on the pretext of treating her illness and sexually assaulted her.
A spokesman for the spiritual leader, who enjoys a wide following across the country and abroad, said the girl`s complaint was an attempt to malign Asaram Bapu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000