Scotland Yard may try `Mohalla Committee` concept
Mumbai: Impressed by the concept of Mohalla
Committees formed at the police`s instance to promote communal
harmony in cities like Mumbai, a delegation of Scotland Yard
police on Friday said they plan to initiate such a format in UK.
The five-member delegation, which came on a visit here to
strengthen ties between the police forces of the two
countries, yesterday met Additional Chief Secretary (Home) Umesh
Sarangi and Director General of Police Ajit Parasnis and
discussed various issues including use of technology, function
of police machinery and exchanged ideas.
The team could not meet Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup
Patnaik as he was busy.
The delegation of the foreign police, comprising manager
Ramesh Kumar (overseas projects), Chief Superintendent Mick
Gillick, legal advisor Vishesh Agarwal, Inspector K Paul and
constable H Singh, landed in Mumbai yesterday morning.
"We are impressed by the Mohalla Committee practice here.
We would like to initiate such a practice in our country which
will help us bring together the people of various communities
and engage talks with them on various issues," Chief
Superintendent Mick Gillick said.
He also said that the delegation discussed use of
technology with the police officers.
"We tie an electric tag to the hands of the criminals so
that we can easily detect their presence. This issue also came
for discussion during the meetings with the officials here."
The delegation has also discussed various issues to
strengthen the relations between the two countries, he added.
The delegation will proceed to Delhi and Punjab
tomorrow, where they are expected to meet Home Ministry
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state