Scotland Yard may try `Mohalla Committee` concept
Mumbai: Impressed by the concept of Mohalla
Committees formed at the police`s instance to promote communal
harmony in cities like Mumbai, a delegation of Scotland Yard
police on Friday said they plan to initiate such a format in UK.
The five-member delegation, which came on a visit here to
strengthen ties between the police forces of the two
countries, yesterday met Additional Chief Secretary (Home) Umesh
Sarangi and Director General of Police Ajit Parasnis and
discussed various issues including use of technology, function
of police machinery and exchanged ideas.
The team could not meet Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup
Patnaik as he was busy.
The delegation of the foreign police, comprising manager
Ramesh Kumar (overseas projects), Chief Superintendent Mick
Gillick, legal advisor Vishesh Agarwal, Inspector K Paul and
constable H Singh, landed in Mumbai yesterday morning.
"We are impressed by the Mohalla Committee practice here.
We would like to initiate such a practice in our country which
will help us bring together the people of various communities
and engage talks with them on various issues," Chief
Superintendent Mick Gillick said.
He also said that the delegation discussed use of
technology with the police officers.
"We tie an electric tag to the hands of the criminals so
that we can easily detect their presence. This issue also came
for discussion during the meetings with the officials here."
The delegation has also discussed various issues to
strengthen the relations between the two countries, he added.
The delegation will proceed to Delhi and Punjab
tomorrow, where they are expected to meet Home Ministry
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report