Scribe killing attack on freedom of press: Ambika
New Delhi: Condemning the killing of a
senior journalist of English tabloid `Mid-Day` in Mumbai
on Saturday, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said
no civilised society can tolerate this kind of attack on the
freedom of the press.
"This act has challenged the freedom of press and the
perusal of objective reporting. This incident is a sign of
insanity perpetuated by mindless individuals in which innocent
citizens are killed. No civilised society can tolerate this
kind of attack on freedom of press," she said in a condolence
She expressed confidence the "Home Minister of
Maharashtra will live up to his assurance of tracking down the
assailants in the shortest possible time".
State Home Minister R R Patil has said whoever is
behind the crime will be arrested.
Dey (56), working as Editor (Special Investigation)
with the tabloid, was shot dead today by four unidentified
persons who pumped five bullets into him in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach