Scribe killing attack on freedom of press: Ambika
New Delhi: Condemning the killing of a
senior journalist of English tabloid `Mid-Day` in Mumbai
on Saturday, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said
no civilised society can tolerate this kind of attack on the
freedom of the press.
"This act has challenged the freedom of press and the
perusal of objective reporting. This incident is a sign of
insanity perpetuated by mindless individuals in which innocent
citizens are killed. No civilised society can tolerate this
kind of attack on freedom of press," she said in a condolence
She expressed confidence the "Home Minister of
Maharashtra will live up to his assurance of tracking down the
assailants in the shortest possible time".
State Home Minister R R Patil has said whoever is
behind the crime will be arrested.
Dey (56), working as Editor (Special Investigation)
with the tabloid, was shot dead today by four unidentified
persons who pumped five bullets into him in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report