SC`s contempt notice to Maharashtra on project row with AP
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday issued
contempt notice to Maharashtra government for allegedly
violating its direction against constructing any crest gates
at the Babhali project on River Godavari in Andhra Pradesh.
A three-judge bench of Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan,
Justice P Sathasivam and Justice B S Chauhan sought a response
from Maharashtra on the contempt petition filed by Andhra
Pradesh accusing the neighbouring state of violating the
directions passed by the apex court on April 26, 2007.
The apex court had permitted Maharashtra to go ahead
with the Babhali project "at its own risk" and also restrained
it from raising nine crest gates at the site until the
inter-state dam dispute was resolved by it.
Andhra Pradesh government alleged Maharashtra has gone
ahead with the construction of the gates and thus committed
committed contempt of the apex court.
According to AP, if Babhali was allowed to be
completed it would cause irreparable damage to the interest of
the Telangana region as at least six districts would be
affected in the region through severe water scarcity for both
irrigation and domestic consumption.
The aggrieved state has contended that the project
was being illegally constructed by Maharashtra by impounding
more water from the river than alloted to it by the Godavari
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof