SCs/STs who migrate cannot claim reservation in Delhi: CAT
New Delhi: Reserved category candidates
belonging to other states cannot claim reservation as a matter
of right in jobs in Delhi, the Central Administrative
Tribunal has held.
"The migrant SCs/STs do not have a right to enjoy
reservation in the Government of National Capital Territory
of Delhi (GNCTD)," the Tribunal bench comprising Members S
Raju and V Chhotray said.
The Tribunal passed the order on an application filed by
Poonam Rani challenging her non-selection despite getting
an appointment offer earlier from Delhi Subordinate Services
Selection Board (DSSSB) for the post of teacher.
Rani had in 2007 applied for the post of Trained Graduate
Teachers (Maths) under the SC category and was provisionally
However, The Board cancelled her selection on the ground
that she belonged to reserved category hailing from Haryana.
Aggrieved, she approached the Tribunal against the
decision of the Selection Board and alleged discrimination
by pleading that several other similarly placed candidates had
The Board opposed her plea on the ground that she, being
a "migratory" SC, is not entitled to claim the benefit of
reservation in Delhi.
The Tribunal agreed with the Board`s contention, saying a
migrant SCs/STs cannot claim reservation in Delhi.
"It is no more res intergra (an entirely new matter) that
the migrant SCs/STs do not have a right to enjoy reservations
in the GNCTD," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’