Seal borders intelligently: National Security Advisory Board
Shillong: National Security Advisory Board Chairman Naresh Chandra on Monday said borders in the north east should be sealed intelligently in view of the improving relations with neighbouring countries.
"We have to seal them in an intelligent way, there are areas we can`t seal them physically. We have to manage borders and then allow some kind of interchange across with these countries," Chandra told reporters after a closed door meeting with Chief Minister Mukul Sangma.
He said, "We have a lot to gain by improving relations with Bangladesh. Myanmar is a friendly country. At the same time we cannot allow illegal entry and so on..."
The National Security Advisory Board which met earlier today also discussed at length overall infrastructural development in the north eastern states.
"We discussed the overall development in the region. How to improve the road, rail connectivity, airline expansion, and construction of airstrips in a number of places including Shillong," the former cabinet secretary said.
Among other issues discussed were also how to improve the technical educational sector so that people can upgrade their skills, make them employable and also strategies to attract more investment in this sector in the region, he said.
Asked on the perceived threat of China misusing the Brahmaputra waters, Chandra said, the board is "not sure what is China doing with the water" and added that it would likely suggest actions at the diplomatic level.
Stressing on the importance of governments to providing employment opportunities, the former Union cabinet secretary said, "People should have sufficient employment opportunity or else people get not only frustrated but resentful so all that follows development and creating manufacturing units and better utilisation of local products".
The Board is meeting local NGOs in Meghalaya tomorrow to learn of their angst and fears which they would in turn relay the message to the concerned ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter