Seal borders intelligently: National Security Advisory Board
Shillong: National Security Advisory Board Chairman Naresh Chandra on Monday said borders in the north east should be sealed intelligently in view of the improving relations with neighbouring countries.
"We have to seal them in an intelligent way, there are areas we can`t seal them physically. We have to manage borders and then allow some kind of interchange across with these countries," Chandra told reporters after a closed door meeting with Chief Minister Mukul Sangma.
He said, "We have a lot to gain by improving relations with Bangladesh. Myanmar is a friendly country. At the same time we cannot allow illegal entry and so on..."
The National Security Advisory Board which met earlier today also discussed at length overall infrastructural development in the north eastern states.
"We discussed the overall development in the region. How to improve the road, rail connectivity, airline expansion, and construction of airstrips in a number of places including Shillong," the former cabinet secretary said.
Among other issues discussed were also how to improve the technical educational sector so that people can upgrade their skills, make them employable and also strategies to attract more investment in this sector in the region, he said.
Asked on the perceived threat of China misusing the Brahmaputra waters, Chandra said, the board is "not sure what is China doing with the water" and added that it would likely suggest actions at the diplomatic level.
Stressing on the importance of governments to providing employment opportunities, the former Union cabinet secretary said, "People should have sufficient employment opportunity or else people get not only frustrated but resentful so all that follows development and creating manufacturing units and better utilisation of local products".
The Board is meeting local NGOs in Meghalaya tomorrow to learn of their angst and fears which they would in turn relay the message to the concerned ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!