Seating issue: Pranab for special arrangements at RB functions
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday directed officials to ensure special seating arrangements for Leaders of Opposition in Parliament during functions at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The direction from Mukherjee came after top BJP leaders, who had attended an `At Home` function on August 15, were reportedly upset over the seating arrangements in Rashtrapati Bhavan.
"The President today directed for a special seating arrangements for Leaders of Opposition in Parliament on important functions held at Rashtrapati Bhavan," President`s Press Secretary Venu Rajamony said.
Mukherjee has yesterday telephoned BJP leaders LK Advani, Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj after reports suggested that they were upset about the seating arrangements on the occasion of Independence Day.
The BJP leaders, who were seen at the `At Home` function after a gap of five years, were in an enclosure along with Cabinet ministers, diplomats and judges besides senior bureaucrats, away from the VVIP enclosure.
Besides the President, others in the VVIP enclosure had included Vice-President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Vimla Sharma, wife of late former President S D Sharma.
Mukherjee has also asked for a special seating arrangements for senior political leaders during swearing-in ceremonies after reports suggested that Advani was upset for being pushed to fourth row during the swearing-in ceremony of Vice-President Hamid Ansari at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
"The leaders of political parties should get important place at such functions," Rajamony said quoting from the President`s directive in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing