Seating issue: Pranab telephones BJP leaders
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday telephoned BJP leaders LK Advani, Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj after reports suggested that they were upset about the seating arrangements made at the `At Home` function on the occasion of Independence Day.
"The President telephoned all the three leaders and assured them that their views will be considered for future functions," President`s Press Secretary Venu Rajamony said here.
The BJP leaders, who were seen at the `At Home` function after a gap of five years, were in an enclosure along with cabinet ministers, diplomats and judges besides senior bureaucrats, away from the VVIP enclosure.
Besides the President, others in the VVIP enclosure included Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Lok Sabha speaker Meira Kumar, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Vimla Sharma, wife of late former president SD Sharma.
"The officials at the Rashtrapati Bhavan only followed the past practice," Rajamony said, adding, "the President also assured the leaders necessary changes will be made."
Apart from Ravi Shankar Prasad, top BJP leaders have not been seen at the At Home functions hosted by former President Pratibha Patil.
Mukherjee had made it a point to greet all the BJP leaders individually at yesterday`s function at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The security ring around the VVIP venue was reduced to bare minimum and the President also chose to move out and mingle with the gathering at the sprawling lawns of Mughal gardens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read