Seating issue: Pranab telephones BJP leaders
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday telephoned BJP leaders LK Advani, Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj after reports suggested that they were upset about the seating arrangements made at the `At Home` function on the occasion of Independence Day.
"The President telephoned all the three leaders and assured them that their views will be considered for future functions," President`s Press Secretary Venu Rajamony said here.
The BJP leaders, who were seen at the `At Home` function after a gap of five years, were in an enclosure along with cabinet ministers, diplomats and judges besides senior bureaucrats, away from the VVIP enclosure.
Besides the President, others in the VVIP enclosure included Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Lok Sabha speaker Meira Kumar, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Vimla Sharma, wife of late former president SD Sharma.
"The officials at the Rashtrapati Bhavan only followed the past practice," Rajamony said, adding, "the President also assured the leaders necessary changes will be made."
Apart from Ravi Shankar Prasad, top BJP leaders have not been seen at the At Home functions hosted by former President Pratibha Patil.
Mukherjee had made it a point to greet all the BJP leaders individually at yesterday`s function at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The security ring around the VVIP venue was reduced to bare minimum and the President also chose to move out and mingle with the gathering at the sprawling lawns of Mughal gardens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check