Seating issue: Pranab telephones BJP leaders
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday telephoned BJP leaders LK Advani, Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj after reports suggested that they were upset about the seating arrangements made at the `At Home` function on the occasion of Independence Day.
"The President telephoned all the three leaders and assured them that their views will be considered for future functions," President`s Press Secretary Venu Rajamony said here.
The BJP leaders, who were seen at the `At Home` function after a gap of five years, were in an enclosure along with cabinet ministers, diplomats and judges besides senior bureaucrats, away from the VVIP enclosure.
Besides the President, others in the VVIP enclosure included Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Lok Sabha speaker Meira Kumar, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Vimla Sharma, wife of late former president SD Sharma.
"The officials at the Rashtrapati Bhavan only followed the past practice," Rajamony said, adding, "the President also assured the leaders necessary changes will be made."
Apart from Ravi Shankar Prasad, top BJP leaders have not been seen at the At Home functions hosted by former President Pratibha Patil.
Mukherjee had made it a point to greet all the BJP leaders individually at yesterday`s function at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The security ring around the VVIP venue was reduced to bare minimum and the President also chose to move out and mingle with the gathering at the sprawling lawns of Mughal gardens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'