Second Boeing plane for Indian Navy completes first flight
Washington: The second of the eight long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare P-8I aircraft Boeing is building for the Indian Navy has completed its initial flight.
The second P-8I, a derivative of the Boeing Next-Generation 737-800 commercial airplane, took off from Renton Field, Washington, at 3.29 pm on July 12 and landed two hours and 14 minutes later at Boeing Field in Seattle, Boeing announced.
"The programme is on plan and the Indian Navy is excited for the P-8I to join its fleet," said Leland Wight, P-8I programme manager for Boeing.
During the flight, Boeing test pilots performed airborne systems checks and took the P-8I to a maximum altitude of 41,000 feet (12,300 metres) prior to landing. Boeing will begin mission systems installation and checkout work on the aircraft in the coming weeks.
The first P-81 for the Indian Navy began its official flight test programme July 7 with a fully loaded version of the plane demonstrating its flying qualities and handling characteristics in a test flight.
During the coming months, Boeing test pilots will put the first P-8I through its paces over a US Navy test range west of Neah Bay, Washington, and a joint US/Canadian test range in the Strait of Georgia, Boeing said.
The Boeing-led team is on track to deliver the first aircraft to the Indian Navy in 2013, the company said.
The P-8I features open system architecture, advanced sensor and display technologies, and a worldwide base of suppliers, parts and support equipment.
P-8I aircraft are built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems, BAE Systems and GE Aviation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you