Second Duronto Express flagged off
Chennai: The country`s second Duronto
Express (DE) a non-stop point service between Chennai Central
and Delhi, covering 2,177 kms, was launched here on Monday by the
To cover the entire distance the train takes even less
time than the famed Rajdhani Express - 27 hours and 55 minutes
compared to 28 hours and 10 minutes.
The coaches in DE are fit for a speed of 130 kmph against
110 kmph for conventional mail and express trains.
"As and when the Chennai-New Delhi track gets upgraded,the
speed of DE will also be increased, further saving the journey
time by about two hours", Southern Railway General Manager M S
Jayanth said during the flagging off ceremony of the `Chennai
Central-Hazrat Nizamuddin` DE at the Central Railway station.
Dwelling on its unique features, not available now in
conventional trains, he said the body shells of coaches are
made of stainless steel, resulting in a tare weight reduction
of two tonnes, enabling higher speeds up to 130 kmph.
This also reduces corrosion repairs and maintenance costs.
"The exterior of the coach has been provided with high quality
vinyl wrap with an artistic design, which has been designed by
the Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee herself", he added.
Jayanth said the DE coaches are two meters longer than
conventional coaches, resulting in increased seating capacity.
The AC 3-tier has 13 percent additional seating capacity, AC
2-tier cum AC 3-tier 14 percent and sleeper class 8.3 percent, he said.
"All coaches have been provided with auto closing
vestibule doors", he said, adding that these would shut
automatically in the event of a fire and prevent the flames
from spreading to adjacent coaches.
Another unique feature was better sound insulation, to
cut down on noise levels. "Air springs have been used instead
of coil springs to enable better ride quality", he added.
Jayanth also claimed that the fares of the DE, a
weekly train, are lower than that of the Rajdhani.
The country`s first DE train was flagged off by the
Railway msinister on September 18 between Sealdah-Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional